Checkpoint ALR 5 is the best value gravel bike in the line-up. It's a high-quality build that will hold up for long, rugged miles on roads, dirt and even the most treacherous gravel. But what sets this model apart is the performance parts and the wealth of features like adjustable horizontal sliding dropouts, massive tyre clearance and extra mounts that make it easy to customise for your kind of adventure.
It's right for you if...
Unlike the pure roadie who measures watts and weighs out meals, you favour epic all-road adventures that probably end with a beer and a burrito. But that doesn't mean you'll compromise on performance. You expect to get a lot for your hard-earned money, including quality, versatility, durability and a ridiculous amount of fun.
The tech you get
A stout aluminium frame with rack and mudguard mounts, a vibration-absorbing carbon fork, a 2x11 Shimano GRX drive train with lower gears for grinding up hills or through rough gravel, hydraulic disc brakes for all-condition stopping power and wide 700x40c gravel tyres for added stability and traction.
The final word
If the amount of adventure you can get per pound spent is a priority for you, you won't do better than Checkpoint ALR 5. Quality parts, a durable alloy frame that keeps the price in check, and a wealth of features like extra tyre clearance and customisation options so you can confidently take on bigger, better adventures.
Why you'll love it
- With Checkpoint ALR 5, you're getting high-quality parts at exceptional value, which means you'll have extra dough for adventure travel… and burritos
- This bike is exceedingly versatile and suited to a wide variety of riding styles, including gravel rides, bikepacking and daily commutes
- Massive tyre clearance means you can use tyres up to 45 c for extra traction and stability in any conditions
- Mounts on the seat tube and both sides of the down tube make it easy to carry extra gear and water
- The horizontal sliding dropout makes it easy to fine-tune your geometry or run singlespeed